English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish

Milton Keynes University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust RGB BLUE

Choose well

If you become unwell or are injured make sure you choose the right NHS service to make sure you get the best treatment.

A&E or 999

Emergency Services and A&E departments need to treat the most critical patients. If you, or a relative or friend, experiences one of the following symptoms, please contact 999 urgently.

  • loss of consciousness,  
  • pain that is not relieved by simple analgesia,
  • acute confused state,
  • persistent, severe chest pain, or
  • breathing difficulties.

If your life is in imminent danger, please contact the emergency services.






NHS Urgent care

The Urgent Care Centre is based on the grounds of Milton Keynes Hospital.

They can help you with less urgent ailments or injuries that are not life-threatening:

  • Children with high temperatures
  • Painful infections
  • Children and adults with breathing problems
  • New unexplained symptoms
  • Worrying worsening of a long term condition
  • Mild and moderate injuries and burns
  • Acute mental health problems
  • Bladder and other infections
  • Worrying rashes

Click here for directions to MK Urgent Care Centre.




GPs or Walk-in centre

Your GP or local Walk-in Centre can help with routine health problems, medicine prescriptions, and examinations and treatment.

Depending on surgery, you should be able to get an appointment within one to two working days.

The Walk-in Centre in Broughton Gate is open 8am - 8pm, offering services to non-registered patients. More information can found via thepracticeplc.com









Your local pharmacist can give advice about over-the-counter medicines for minor ailments such as colds, topical treatments and medicines advice.














NHS 111

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next 

Dial 111 when it is less urgent than 999

For more information visit NHS Choices








Self Care

Stock up your first aid box for the most common and non-urgent ailments.

Headaches or hangovers and minor cuts or bruises can all be taken care of at home. Visit NHS Choices for more information.